A frame that has been in your family for years can be an important piece to your history. However, when the mat and glass become dirty or the picture behind it starts to fade, your frame can lose its appeal. With this guide on how to clean an old frame, you’ll be able to bring life back into this heirloom and give it new purpose in your home.
Fill Up Your Frame
- Give your frame a good cleaning. A thorough dusting and vacuuming will do wonders.
- Consider repainting or staining the frame. This can give it a whole new look.
- Apply new hardware. This is an easy way to change the style of your frame without too much effort.
- Decoupage is a fun way to personalize an old frame. Get creative with patterned paper, fabric, or even photos!
- If the frame is looking a little bare, try adding some embellishments like beads, feathers, or ribbon.
- Wrap the frame in twine or yarn for a rustic touch.
- Old frames make great chalkboards!
2) Remove The Glass
There are a few reasons you might want to remove the glass from an old frame. Maybe the frame is dented or damaged and you want to replace the glass. Or maybe you want to give the frame a new lease on life by painting it or adding new hardware. Whatever your reason, here’s how to remove the glass from an old frame.
3) Choose A Paint Color
Is your home in dire need of a refresh but you don’t have the time or money for a complete makeover? One way to instantly change the look of a room is to give an old frame a new coat of paint. But with so many colors to choose from, it can be hard to decide which one is right for you. Here are seven great options
4) Prime The Frame
One way to bring new life to an old frame is by priming it. This will help the paint to adhere better and give the frame a new lease on life. Here are seven steps to follow when priming an old frame:
- Clean the frame with a damp cloth to remove any dirt or debris.
- Apply a layer of primer evenly across the frame.
- Allow the primer to dry completely before moving on to painting.
- Once the primer is dry, apply a coat of paint in your desired color.
- Allow the paint to dry completely before adding any additional coats.
5) Paint With The Accent Color
One way to bring new life to an old frame is by painting it with an accent color. This can help to brighten up the piece and make it more eye-catching. Plus, using a bold color can help to create a statement piece that will really stand out in your home.
Here are seven tips for painting an old frame
- Sand the frame well before painting.
- Cover any surfaces you don’t want painted with plastic or newspaper before you start working on the project.
- Paint on two coats of primer first.
- Paint outside if possible to avoid getting paint on anything else in your house or yard when you’re done painting.
- Use painters tape or newspaper as a barrier around all the edges of the glass so that paint doesn’t get on it too.
- Always let paint dry at least 24 hours before moving furniture back over it so that there’s no chance of ruining anything from excess moisture from wet paint dripping onto floors or carpeting when putting furniture back into place again after this time has passed.
6) Outline The Center Section
- Repaint or restain the frame. This is a great way to give an old frame new life. You can use a new color or stain to match the decor in your home.
- Use decoupage to add new designs or patterns to the frame. This is a fun way to personalize an old frame.
- Add new hardware to the frame. This can give an old frame a whole new look. You can find new hardware at your local hardware store or online.
- Distress the frame for a shabby chic look. This is a great way to make an old frame look trendy and stylish.
- Wrap the frame in fabric or ribbon for a unique look.
7) Cover With Fabric And Glue Down
Have an old frame that’s seen better days? Give it new life by covering it with fabric! This is a great way to add a pop of color or pattern to any room. Plus, it’s a quick and easy project that anyone can do. Here’s how